Friday, November 5, 2010

Monitoring continiously

Soooo Alyssa got onto a CGM (continious glucose monitor) for a 6 day period where we were able to store up to 288 blood sugars a day (isn't that amazing?!) and see what Alyssa's numbers were doing. Well, go figure the second we get her on a CGM her blood sugars are amazing every time we check! But that's a good thing. :) I think the stress with our move... Alyssa losing her kitty cat... starting a new school, new friends may have made those sugars go up and now she's kind of relaxing and things are going well. The only adjustments made after the results of the CGM were viewed was adding a little bit more insulin to her basal rates between the 4 pm-9 pm hour. She seems to spike immediately after dinner and we always need to adjust her high sugar with some insulin before I go to bed so around 11 pm or so.

One day a continious glucose monitor will hopefully talk to her insulin pump and we won't have to worry about those finger checks 8-10 times a day! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Halloween was awesome this year... the kids had a blast and the kids picked 5 pieces of candy to keep, ate 1 or 2 Halloween night and that was IT. I'm really proud of my husband, myself and my kids - we've really cut out the bad eating this passed year. That's the one positive thing Diabetes has brought to our life - a realization that eating that fast food and sugary stuff really does nothing GOOD for your body - it screws it up and makes you feel right down yucky!

As a result my kids are healthier and happier. My husband has lost weight and looks awesome, and I've lost weight and am able to keep up with all my Zumba teaching. We feel great!

Now we have the holidays to look foward to. And this year... things are looking more hopeful. I remember Diabetic mommies telling me it would get "more normal" and "easier" and the truth of having a Type 1 Diabetic child isn't that it gets easier... or just normal... but that you learn to live. And you learn to really live, and you know that nothing - not even diabetes - will stop you and most definitely - it will NOT stop your child from their dreams. We can't let it.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

  1. I love you guys! Thanks for the update and I hope it's soon that those finger pricks are HISTORY! I was thinking about you today, not long ago people everywhere were over the moon excited about insulin and its life saving ability for diabetes. The next big promise has to be right around the corner. We'll keep praying and expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so lucky to have Alyssa in my first grade class. She is truly an inspiration! Every day when she walks into my classroom she has a smile on her face and is ready to tackle the day. As I see it, her diabetes is a just a bump in the road and her journey in life will be filled with many accomplishments! Alyssa is the perfect example as to why I love to teach!

    ReplyDelete